Chatpatay

Yes, today I have a recipe for Chatpatay. Any simple ingredients with a pinch of spice will melt your thirst towards chatpatay. I remember when I grew up, me and my friends would walk over Newroad or Tudikhel and find vendors selling chatpatay. While I was not allowed to eat food outside of home at most times (due to sanity and health reasons and possibly parents' love..ha), I would get one once in a while. It tasted so good!

While I still remember the taste and the ingredients that went in, it is hard to make as it is, but this recipe will open you with options to try your own ingredients available at your home. My sister-in-law makes it real good, and I followed some of the ingredients she uses to make one and I have used some that I like, hope you like it!

Makes 6 servings

Chatpatay


You'll need:

Wai Wai - 2 packets
Bhooja - 1.5 cups
Aloo Bhujiya (Spicy kind) - 1 cup
Diced onions - .5 cup
Diced tomatoes - .5 cup
Green Chilies - 2
Cilantro - to sprinkle
Chat Masala, chili powder, and lemon to taste
Mustard Oil - 1 tbsp
Here are the steps -
In a bowl, add Wai Wai dry noodles. If you do not have Wai Wai, you can skip this step.

Add in Bhooja and Aloo Bhujiya. Also, add in onions, tomatoes, green chilies.
Add dry ingredients


Sprinkle in Spices packet from Wai Wai. Sprinkle in some chat masala as well, and if you like it to be more spicy, add in more chili powder. Add about half lemon but if you would like more, you can add it later.
Add dry ingredients


Now add in mustard oil. If you do not have mustard oil, you can add vegetable oil. You do not need to heat the oil. Mix well.

Sprinkle some cilantro if you have it, and there, it's ready to gobble up!

Optional: If you would like to add other options, feel free to do so. I think some add boiled potatoes or even soaked chickpeas. It all depends on what you like. Experiment and enjoy!

Comments