Karela Curry (Bitter gourd)


Really, when you think of Karela - who loves it? Probably very few. Or, I may be wrong and there could be many! Growing up, you can tell I was a picky eater. Karela wasn't my favorite either. But I have always enjoyed eating the roasted kind of karela where you taste nothing, no bitterness at all! Haha, I know, that's what pickiness does to people - eat the way you like than how it's supposed to.

My mom makes great Karela pickle, similar to Aloo Achar - just that instead of carrots or radish or cukes, she uses steamed Karela. It tastes so great even with little bitterness in taste with all that citrusy taste into it.

Today, I am not interested in achar (pickle) but I have been fond of Karela curry. Very easy to make. Never thought I would love it this much. Hope you try and let me know the feedback!



Ingredients -

  • Karela / Bitter gourd - 4 or 5
  • Vegetable Oil - 3 tbsp
  • Sliced Onions - 1/4 cup
  • Diced Tomatoes - 1/2 cup
  • Fenugreek Seeds - 1/2 tsp
  • Salt, chili powder, turmeric powder, chili powder, cumin powder to taste
  • Ginger/garlic paste - 1 tsp
  • Lemon - 1 tsp
  • Water
Wash Karela and slice about 0.1" in thickness or less, depending how you like it. Doesn't have to be a slice, you can dice if you would like to. In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil. Add sliced Karela and saut'e for about 5 minutes. Make sure it's not overcooked.

Set it aside.

In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds. When it turns dark in color, add onions and all the spices together. Stir well.




Add tomatoes and stir well.





Add water just so it covers the mixture and let it boil.


When the mixture boils, add in the saute'ed Karela. Mix well. Add in salt if you need to. Heat until you have gravy texture, about 5-10 minutes.
Add in lemon. Stir well. Add cilantro to garnish.


It's ready with rice or quinoa or even roti to go along with.

Comments