Grapefruit Salad (Grapefruit Sadheko)


Have you wondered if you have grapefruits in your fridge or fruit basket laying around, and you do not know how to eat except for how to eat oranges? Here's a recipe that can definitely help with the sourness that this fruit has, which you can have as a snack or as a late night dessert after dinner.

Growing up I never longed for 'Bhogate sadheko' (In nepali, Pomelo is called as Bhogate but grapefruit is also a close cousin of Pomelo). But in recent years, I have been fond of having grapefruit as part of my breakfast routine. I love having grapefruit in the morning! I know for most people it may not be a viable fruit to have in the morning but this is what I like.

Few months back, my mom visited us. She made this salad almost every day when I came home from work. It was a delight to have one. Now that she's back home, I longed for one, and here I am with the recipe.

A lot of people may know how to make one. But, this one is my mom's recipe and I hope you will like it.



Ingredients -

  • 1 Grapefruit
  • 2 Tablespoon plain yogurt
  • Chili Poweder 
  • Salt
  • Brown Sugar or regular sugar
  • Turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon Vegetable oil
  • Fenugreek Seeds
At first, you need to peel out the skin and bring in the juicy part of the fruit. Collect them in a bowl.


Then add plain yogurt. I used homemade yogurt in this case, but you can use whichever you like.
Add some chili powder, salt and brown sugar to taste.
Mix well.

To garnish, add some turmeric powder on top of the mixture.

Heat a small skillet with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil on medium heat. When the oil is hot, add in a pinch of fenugreek seeds. When the fenugreek seeds turn dark in color, turn off the heat and pour on top of the mixture.

Mix well. Ready to serve anytime of the day!

It's that easy! 

Comments